Rodents are a threat to humans when they are many. They spread all kinds of illnesses by transmitting germs, bacteria, and parasites through their presence inside the home.
Usually, the rats stay outdoors in the summertime. But they look for warm places when the fall starts. They target houses, apartments, warehouses, farmhouses, and barns to stay safe when it is snow.
These rodents hide inside the walls and ceilings and search for food around the property. Mice remain quiet until the humans are away from their homes and feed on whatever they discover on the kitchen countertop and pantry.
A mouse colony is enormous, and they steal as much food leaving ample germs and parasites inside the house, making it a spot of filthy diseases.
How To Spot The Presence Of Rodents In Your Home
- ‘Acetamide’: The cloying smell inside a property that matches the odor of ammonia or vinegar is the prime sign of rats inside a house.
- Biting Marks: Scratch and tooth marks on and around the kitchen shelves and the pantry walls are other indications of house mice and rats inside the property.
- ‘Gnawing Sound’: The rats always sharpen their incisors, producing a gnawing sound that helps them spot these rodents.
- Spot The Rat Excreates: Rat droppings are generally tiny in size (12mm) that are mainly tapered at one end.
- Fur Particles: Smooth black fur smeared around the nook and corner of the property is another visible proof of the rat attack in the house.
How To Get Rid Of Rats? 7 Tips
- There are many pest control companies specializing in rat and mouse extermination. Visit this site and book a rodent control service for the property under rat attack.
- Mice hide in the dark, isolated corners in the daylight and get active when there is silence and darkness around their living spaces. So it is difficult to trap them easily.
- One can implement a snap ap near the daily visiting routes of a rat. These traps catch the rats and kill them instantly.
- Installing home-friendly electromagnetic ultrasound devices to redeem the unwanted visit of rats to the home can be helpful.
- Rat poisons give a slow and painful death to the rats, but it is a risky way to get rid of them. Because of this method, other animals, birds, and pets would be in danger as they would also be attracted to the smell of the poison.
- Last but not minor, prevention is better than just getting rid of rodents, as they bring terrible diseases and viruses to our homes.
- Petting a cat is a very effective way to prevent rats from the house. Cats are highly effective defendants against house mice. Rodents do not like the smell of cats, referred to as one of their natural predators.
What Brings The Rats To Your Home?
A dirty surrounding with loaded trash bins attracts rats to your living space. So, if the neighborhood or the streets nearby are not disposing of garbage-filled baskets regularly, it invites rodents’ attention, leading to an in-house rat attack.
Food Left Uncovered
The dirty surroundings grab the rats’ attention, and the fresh food left unsealed also brings them to our homes. Most importantly, the pet food exposed overnight definitely carries hungry mice to the houses.
Clumsy & Messy Garden Area
A cluttered and dirty garden gives the mice a safer place to hide in the daylight, and they loop into a tidy house searching for food at night. Once they nest in an unclean garden, they move in with their whole clan or reproduce in huge quantities.
If your pipelines are poorly maintained and have leakages, there is a chance of migrating rats moving to the respective space in search of water for survival. So, fixing the plumping flaws can prevent rats from the resident circumference.
Any cracks, holes, or damage on walls, floorboards, windows, or doors gives effortless entry to the rodents. Like any other rodents, rats can squish their body to enter through the tightest openings.
Overtly Bend Trees
Trees overarched towards the property get the mice and rats into it as their everyday travel route is painless. They are tempted to climb on bent trees towards the targeted house, where they will push themselves in search of food.
Which Type Of Rat/Mice Enters The House?
1. Brown Rats
Brown rats are widely found in the urban environment of the US. They live in tunnels and subways, feeding on leftover foods from the trash. They are carriers of infectious diseases as their blood is full of virus transmission.
2. Black Rats
Black rats are naturally born in North America, but it has become a widespread species as they got transported worldwide along with cargo ship goods. They are the best transmitters of viral and infectious diseases like plague, typhus, and toxoplasmosis.
3. House Mice (Mus musculus)
House Mice have large ears, a tiny long tale with a thin body that suits to live in the cracks or holes of a wall or a ceiling. They live around the human population and depend on them for food, water, and shelter.
4. White-Footed Deer Mouse
The white-footed deer mouse is similar to other mice in the US, as it is considered a vector species that spread contagious illness among humans. They carry bacterias that cause Lyme disease in humans.
According to the regional data analysis, the rodent control market in North America reported a growth of $ 1596.2 million in 2020. Rodent consists of rabbits, squirrels, moles, rats, and mice. But here, rodent control means removing rats and mice from human-populated areas.
Rats are never good for human health and hygiene. These tiny species have haunted the human population for a very long time. No matter how well we try to prevent them from our private living spaces, they peep into all the banned areas waiting for no permission. They can be redeemed entirely with the help of efficient pest control teams, who can handle them effectively.